21.7.08

Jo Stafford [1917-2008] Thank You For Calling

« erg | no picture please | het kan ook zijn dat je gewoon bent »


Jo Stafford
Thank you for calling
(1954)

Who can it be? Hello, hello?
Yes, this is me
Darling, oh my darling
What a surprise
It’s been so long, why?
There’s tears in my eyes

When will you be here?
What time will it be?
Oh, you’re not coming?
I see, oh, I see
Well, I hope you’ll be happy
Thank you, I’ll try
Thank you for calling, goodbye

Yes, operator
I’ll hang up the phone
Yes, yes, I know my party is gone
But I’ll always love him
I guess, till I die
Thank you for calling, goodbye


Jo Stafford was in Nederland vooral bekend van het lied Thank you for calling.
Het nummer begint met het gerinkel van een telefoon. Een vrouw neemt op.
Uit haar tekst blijkt dat ze wordt gebeld door een man van wie ze nog altijd zielsveel houdt.
Hunkerend vraagt ze hem wanneer hij weer eens langs komt. Maar het loopt anders af...



bron: NRC 21 juli 2008


Anna

Older Post Newer Post

Label Cloud

Search

© no picture please