24.8.06

South End

deel 35 van Jenna's verhaal
I walked this morning in Adams Morgan. There were a lot of addicted people there.
Yeah, but they don’t bother you. They only harm themselves. They destruct their own body.

Jenna vraagt of het raam dicht mag ze heeft het koud.
I am warm, zegt de taxichauffeur.
Me too, zegt Josch.
Jenna valt in slaap.
She’s pregnant, zeg ik. She can’t control her temperature.

She’s pregnant? Ill take extra care of her.
That’s nice of you.
I know what it is. my wife vomited a lot. The pregnancy went fine accept for the vomiting. The delivery.. she got a c-section.. they cut you open just like that. I got no time to think. They cut a woman open very quickly. Like she’s a pillow.

So Adams Morgan is not a dangerous neighbourhood?
No. South End is. I don’t drive there. If somebody ask me I say I already have a ride. I don't go there.
Why not? 
They rob you. Like now I have money in my cab. They know I have money in my cab and they rob you each year for cabdrivers get killed in South End. I don’t go there.
There are people in South End they never come downtown Washington. They never leave the area.
But if you don't go in and they don't come out, who do they rob?
Its drugs, they come in.
So they rob each other?
Yes... I don't believe that you came to see Bush. I don't understand why he got re-elected. I don't understand the American people. The day they re-elected Bush, I stopped believing. We don't need him here.
He is running the country.
Is he? What's he running? ...You have to speak English. When you live in this country, you have to speak English.
The Chinese in NY don't.
You have to speak English.. how can I talk to you when I am in the cab and I don't speak English?
Than I say tooo dieee aaiirporrrt.
Hai, you answer.
Hai.
And then you drop me off in South End.
And you never return and never be heard off again.
Yes.
24 augustus 2006
meer Jenna verhalen...»

Older Post Newer Post

Label Cloud

Search

© no picture please